Thursday, August 10, 2006

Excitement in Gjilan

Today is, from what I gather, a big day for both Kosov and Serbia. An Albanian general and 4 other people were tried and (I think) convicted of crimes against humanity…right here in Gjilan. They are from Prizren, in southern Kosov, where much of the heavy fighting occurred (1999). I did get a heads up that there might be a little excitement in Gjilan, but I had completely forgotten until…

I went to a girl’s house on the other side of Gjilan (a 45-min. walk). I thought we were going to study some vocab for an hour, but I instead got the whole Albanian hospitality treatment (2 ½ hours of eating). When I decided that it was time to leave (and realized that we wouldn’t be going over animal names afterall), I prepped myself for the 45-min. walk home…in the pouring rain in 60 degree weather. In brilliant sophisticated fashion, I waved for a taxi (I jumped in the middle of the road and screamed like a schoolgirl until it stopped…it was probably the only taxi for a long time and I was already soaked). Two minutes into my ride, I had to get out because there was a military blockade. No joke: I arrived across from the courthouse (which was on my way home) one minute before the big hooplah occurred and all of the vehicles and court people were ushered out. There was an unbelievable amount of military presence (mainly Swedes, Americans, and Nigerians)—loads of trucks, fancy-pants cars with dark windows, tanks, ambulances, SUVs, etc. I stood out there with 15 or so older gents and watched the whole thing (uh…were we allowed to be there? Um…I’m just now thinking probably not as there were blockades everywhere...how in the world did I get there?).

I’m so frustrated that I didn’t have my camera…a little recording would’ve been quite a keepsake. More importantly, though, I wish I could more fully understand and appreciate what just happened…better yet, understand the politics, history, and international relations of this comparatively teensy bit of land that has a way more complicated…everything!...than what I can get my brain around.

No comments: